Ad

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Working Method of Making Blogger Title Tags SEO Friendly

New Working Method of Making Blogger Title Tags SEO Friendly

[Blogger made some recent changes on 9th May 2008 which enables us to use a simple method to make SEO Friendly Title Tags for Post Pages (Permalink Pages), I guess I am a bit too late to notice but as we’re discussing about Web Programming lately, I’ll share the method anyway.]

One of the biggest problems I face with Blogger blogs is the inability to create custom SEO and human friendly title tags. Blogger does not give us any option to change the way title tags are in post pages. Titles of post pages in Blogger are always in the following form:

[Blog Title] : [Post Title]

In this case when you have a bit long Blog Name, all your pages in the Search Engine index would start with the blog name taking most of the previous space. That way it wouldn’t be relevant to the content of the post in most cases

The following form of title would be considered good:

[Post Title] : [Blog Title]

Or if your blog’s name is too long you can use just the title:

[Post Title]

People have always been trying to come up with ways to create custom title tags in Blogger, some used a hack few months back known as the Widget Based Title Tag hack which NO longer works from quite some time. Even I used that method here on my blog. But, as I said, after sometime Blogger wouldn’t let that hack work. Again some people found a slightly different method that WORKED but pissed off the HTML compliance really bad as title tag was placed outside of the <head> tag. So the fact is before 9th May there really was no way you could have custom titles and those who already had the hack working, couldn’t edit the Template code anymore without switching back to the normal title structure.

The Method

Below I’m outlining a very simple and 100% working way of having custom titles in Blogger:

<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == &quot;item&quot;'>
<title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data:blog.title/></title>
<b:else/>
<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
</b:if>

Copy and paste the above code replacing the <data:blog.pageTitle/> line in your template code.

Or if you want the posts to have just the post title in the title tag and NO blog name or if your blog name is too long, you may use the following code, again replace <data:blog.pageTitle/> line with this code.

[Go to Layout->Edit HTML to place these codes.]

NOTE: Titles of pages are very critical when it comes to Search Engines not just from SEO point of view but also from human perspective. It’s a known fact that even if your website ranks higher but has irrelevant (same looking titles) for all the pages, chances are peoples would rather click on lower ranking pages having relevant titles.

44 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks a lot for the useful guides. I've successfully changed my blog title and individual page name with the codes given *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanx @Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:59 PM

    Thanks a lot....

    regards
    computer internet technology

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this information...I was wondering if by implementing this change, it will help my articles be searched again. For the past 9 days, nobdy has visited my blog....and I was getting a steady 25-30 views per day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ray
    Thanks

    There is not just one way that you can make your site/blog useful for SEs/Peoples. You should implement all that you can. And most important of all you should always be writing useful posts.

    Remember Content is King, still!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to write up a post about your blog. REALLY appreciate the assistance! Now if only Google groups would allow old posts to be modified so we could update people there as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Dave

    Great! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am a blogger and i really liked this post. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Govindan,

    Thanks buddy.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ bluebird

    My pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great! Thanks a lot. Finally a title changing code that works on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post. very informative. the guidelines mentioned are almost perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Joy Lynford,

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog,, very informative. Thanks for the codes and the tips. Hope to see a lot of these in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ internet marketing services,

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lot of comments can be seen in this post which itself says that this is an interesting article. I read it twice before moving on to other article which are equally interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ MCSE Training, Karrox,

    Why are you guys spamming here?

    I've been seeing a lot of irrelevant comments here linking to this karrox website.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now you can change blogger post title for new blogger beta. Just apply the settings and notice the boost in your search rankings.
    Same trick with few more options

    visit ..

    http://www.ialwayscapital.com/2009/05/change-blogger-post-title-to-increase.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've try and it works for my tab title page on my blog (left upper corner side og my blog page). But not for google search result. It still show Blog title: Post Title.
    How to fixed this? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi ARCAVA,

    It's because it takes some time before Google (or other SEs) find (index) your new pages. After that your search results will start showing the new title of the pages.

    I hope this is what you asked for.

    ReplyDelete
  26. of course i already read your re-comment.
    I've subscribe wait for your answer. And i already get it. Thank you so much.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:37 AM

    I've tried this change on my blog with no luck. Every post I make shows up in search engines with my blog title. Anyone have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anonymous,

    Please see my reply to ARCAVA above.

    ReplyDelete
  29. works like a charm! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Glamiva,

    It's my pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am building blog ? can you see is seo friendly
    I only plan to add videos
    http://bluegrids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi I just used your title tag seo but in Browser head [title]Blog title is showing is it ok or not [= < >

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for your post the problem is solved

    ReplyDelete
  34. This really worked! I love it! there is one problem, I have done what you said, but now all my page titles start off with < title > How do I fix this? my blog is http://blog.seooptimizers.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi SEO Optimizers,

    Your blog seems to be okay. I suppose you've fizxed it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great coding... tks
    Another sites only giving code to change into title page only, but you complete it with blog's name. I like it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks bro for good information which i have used in my blog

    ReplyDelete

You are free to comment anything, although you can comment as 'Anonymous' it is strongly recommended that you supply your name. Thank You.

Please don't use abusive language.